Pair of Art Nouveau Lamps by the Fischer Hungarian Porcelain Factory
A pair of Art Nouveau porcelain vases by the Fischer Hungarian Porcelain Factory from Budapest Hungary that have been turned into lamps. The vases feature a stripe design of various colours painted with brightly coloured enamel flowers on a matte gold ground in the manner of Gustav Klimt. When they were turned into lamps, the vases were set on a green onyx base for more height and stability, and while they are almost certainly stamped Fischer this cannot be verified 100%. It can be upon an inquiry from a serious buyer.
The Fischer Porcelain Factory was founded by Ignac Fisher in 1864. At first, he dealt only with painting the china products of other factories. However, he produced his own ceramics beginning in 1867. Similar to Zsolnay, Fischer also specialized in the production of ornamentally decorated ceramics. He was successful mainly with his Majolica ware, sold in Austria-Hungary and also sold for export. Fischer also produced pieces decorated with Chinese motifs sold at the Hungarian Exposition of 1885. He was successful in winning many major awards. Eventually his son Emil took over the operation. But by 1885, under the direction of Ignac’s son Emil, the factory slowly began to lose its standing and eventually became the property of the Zsolnay Factory in Pécs in south west Hungary. Some have asserted that Zsolnay bought out the Fischers to put them out of business in favour of his own.
Dimensions: 14″(36cm) to top of vase